2 lbs whole Creole tomatoes
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp purple basil, chopped
To taste Jay D’s Spicy & Sweet BBQ Rub
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Light the smoker and adjust temperature to 250F.
- Season whole tomatoes with one tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Smoke until soft (about 30-40 minutes).
- While tomatoes are smoking, chop onions and garlic.
- Sauté in olive oil until soft.
- Season with red pepper flakes, Jay D’s Spicy & Sweet BBQ Rub and dried oregano.
- Add tomatoes with seasonings and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Purée in a blender until soft.
- Finish with purple basil.