Smoked Creole Tomato Soup
- 2 lbs whole Creole tomatoes
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp purple basil, chopped
- To taste Jay D’s Spicy & Sweet BBQ Rub
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Light the smoker and adjust temperature to 250F.
- Season whole tomatoes with one tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Smoke until soft (about 30-40 minutes).
- While tomatoes are smoking, chop onions and garlic.
- Sauté in olive oil until soft.
- Season with red pepper flakes, Jay D’s Spicy & Sweet BBQ Rub and dried oregano.
- Add tomatoes with seasonings and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Purée in a blender until soft.
- Finish with purple basil.